One week into Lockdown and I thought I’d share what’s been keeping us sane in our house. We’re trying to embrace all the time together, keep everything light and have fun. It’s not going to be easy but one day at a time and we might just make it through.
Jon Burgerman’s It’s Great To Create
There are some big Burgerman fans in our house so we’ve been loving all the ideas he’s been giving us in his doodle videos. Games and silliness that the whole family can get involved with. He’s also doing some Zoom doodle lessons and reading some of his stories on IG Live. And if you like all that, you’ll love his brilliant, bonkers drawing books!
Rob Biddulph’s #DrawWithRob
If nothing else, by the time the oldest one goes back to school, he will be able to draw a kick ass sausage dog. And to be honest, that’s fine by me. Learn how to draw some of Rob’s best known characters with these great video tutorials. As he says, anyone can draw, you just have to know the right order to draw things in.
Betty Etiquette Calligraphy Classes for Kids
A great one for older kids (and to be honest, adults!) to get involved with. Really clear, detailed workshops with tutorials, homework and challenges.
Ladyland Art Club
Join Emma Scott-Child every weekday at 2pm for a fun, interactive art club using mostly things you can find around the house. Puppets, murals, masks and so much more.
Noel Fielding’s Art Club
Art club absurdity every Saturday 3-5pm. Submit your entries via Instagram or Twitter and Noel plus a guest judge will pick a winner.
#FashionShowFriday with Let’s Make Art
With a different theme each week, take part in this virtual fashion show organised by Bristol art heroes Let’s Make Art. Take a look at our contribution to paper week here. Fun for the whole family!
Stay Home and Sewalong with Sew Over It
Live sewalongs covering cushions covers, dresses, tees and more. Plus every Monday at 13:00 there will be a live video just for kids. Sewing is such a good lockdown activity so check it out!
Victoria Topping’s Collage Club
It’s no secret how much I love the jazzy vibes of Victoria’s artwork and I am so excited to get stuck into her free downloadable collage pack. Available for print or digital collaging and there are two guided activities as well to get you in the groove.
Art Workshops with Lucy Tiffney
Loads of great ideas in these workshops from interiors guru, Lucy. These ones are great for adults and older kids and worth watching just for the wallpaper alone!
#Hometasking with Taskmaster
Alleviate the boredom by taking part in the tasks set for you by the Taskmaster’s assistant. Being silly keeps you sane!
P.E. with Joe
Surely there’s no one in the country who hasn’t joined in with Joe Wick’s morning jump about? I’d like to think we’ll leave lockdown in peak physical condition but I suspect it might just counterbalance all the cake baking!
Disney Dance Alongs with This Girl Can
We’ve been loving these simple little dance alongs. Perfect for a quick shimmy round the kitchen when you just need to shake it all out.
Cosmic Kids Yoga
We’ve been hitting up our old favourites and also discovering some new ones on a very regular basis. But we still think Betsy Banana is the best!
Daily activities with iMoves
Sign up for this free membership and you’ll have access to lots of videos on dancing, yoga, mindfulness plus boredom busting activities and daily resources to your inbox.
And once the kids have gone to bed, make sure you let loose too…
Zoom Yoga with Now Studio
Pip shut the physical doors to her beautiful Easton studio way before the lockdown was enforced and switched over to Zoom sessions early on. They’ve proved really popular and the whole of the regular class timetable is now available in your own home.
These are VERY cheesy and American but I nearly pissed myself laughing at my lack of coordination in this Cardio Latin Dance workout. And let’s be honest we all need a laugh right now.
Disco Dance Bristol
Join these classes each evening to learn a new part of a dance routine and by the end you’ll be busting out moves to the whole song! You can catch up on previous sessions via the website and all classes are donation based.
Midnight Ritual Zoom Rave
Shake yer booty from the comfort of your own home. Enjoy some tropical beats and seriously good vibes thanks to Easton based Panther Panther and friends. Every Friday 21:30 – 1:00 with plans for a family friendly daytime version soon.
If you have access to a printer, here are some of the best free colouring and activity sheets around:
- Lots of great designs by Bristol artist Zoë Power available to download here.
- Three whole volumes of free downloadable colouring books from Counter Print Books. Featuring some of my favourite artists – Anthony Burrill, Camille Walala, Marcus Walters, Hattie Stewart, Erin Jang and loads more.
- Get stuck into the weird and wonderful world of Bristol doodle meister Dixon Does Doodles! Find his free colouring sheets of animals and monsters here.
- There are loads of fun printables from Kerry at Paper Joy, including rainbows for your windows and how to turn an empty loo roll into a rocket or unicorn. Find them all here.
- A whole host of lovely characters and drawings from Adam Higton here.
- Bristol artist Hannah Broadway has made a beautiful Bristol colouring sheet for you to enjoy some mindful colouring.
- Free colouring sheet from street art icon Ben Eine. Colour in and stick in your window. Find it here.
- A free colouring pack from Eleanor Bowmer that you’ll enjoy colouring in as much as the kids. Available on her website.
- Colour in some of Camille Walala iconic buildings in these great colouring sheets. A lovely peaceful evening activity.
- Ella Masters has some positive pages for kids and also some more grown up designs.
- Brilliant colouring sheets from the wonderful Pete Fowler for both digital and good old fashioned colouring in. Download them here.
- And here you can find some positive, motivational offerings from Emily Brooks to help get you through.
- Print out these really sweet postcards from Out of the Box cards, colour them in and pop them in the post to your friends and family. A smile in the post ❤️
We’re in this for the long haul so I’ll be adding to this list along the way – let me know if you think there’s anything I’m missing.
Stay home, stay safe and take care of each other.